Asylos is looking for a London-based consultant to support its work in the UK
Consultancy (24-month contract)
Asylos is an international network of volunteer researchers providing on demand background research to support asylum claims. The research concerns the situation in the country of origin of the asylum seeker or other facts relating to an individual asylum claim. In many countries, legal aid provided for asylum seekers is limited. Lawyers cannot devote sufficient time to researching information which may substantiate asylum requests in court. The approximately 100 Asylos volunteers, based in different countries around the world, look for information that can help to establish whether forcing a refugee to return to his/her country of origin or transit would threaten his/her life or deny fundamental human and civil rights.
Asylos is looking for a proactive individual with extensive research experience to work alongside its current consultant in managing and developing Asylos’s activities in the UK. This is a unique position for a highly motivated self-starter to develop Asylos’s profile as a new and dynamic NGO in the UK. Together with the current consultant, s/he will manage a team of UK-based volunteer researchers to research high-quality country-of-origin information substantiating claims from young asylum seekers in the UK. This will include shared responsibility for producing and publishing a series of ‘strategic’ research reports, in partnership with Asylum Research Centre (ARC) Foundation, which will fill in crucial gaps in COI and address systemic weaknesses in the refugee status determination process for the most vulnerable children and young people in the UK. S/he will also take a leading role in identifying new approaches for Asylos in researching and disseminating information to inform asylum claims in the UK context. This will include developing and delivering COI workshops across the UK, especially in areas identified as having high levels of need but scant specialist legal advice. In addition to these activities, s/he will be responsible for exercising quality control over Asylos’s research products in the UK, facilitating volunteer training and liaising with our UK partners (law centres, NGOs, barristers and solicitors). S/he will also engage in fundraising efforts for Asylos’s work in the UK.
- Excellent research skills and ideally an experience with managing research projects; experience in managing country-of-origin information research is a strong advantage
- Proven networking skills and ability to form working relationships with partner NGOs, reach out to new stakeholders, and engage with government officials and funders; an existing network with UK asylum NGOs would be an asset
- Very good knowledge of the UK asylum system (politics, policies and law)
- Experience of developing training materials and facilitating workshops
- An interest in and willingness to learn about technological solutions to support our research (custom databases, social network analysis, project management tools)
- Very good level of English, knowledge of any language spoken in a relevant country of origin is an asset
- A university degree in a relevant field (politics, law, sociology, anthropology, migration studies, development studies, journalism or other) or equivalent
What we offer
- 24-month contract for a London-based consultancy (maximum of 5 days a month at 200 GBP per day)
- Travel across the UK, as well as occasional travel to Brussels to meet with Asylos staff
- The opportunity to set up a new organisation and contribute to Asylos’s strategic thinking about country-of-origin research, working closely with Asylos’s Brussels-based staff and Trustees
- An opportunity to be at the heart of a fast-growing, innovative, international network of motivated volunteers with meetings in London, Brussels, Berlin and Paris
To apply, please fill out the below form. Deadline for applications is 2 September 2018 at midnight. Interviews are tentatively scheduled to take place on 12 September. The starting date for this position is as soon as possible thereafter.